Thursday, January 10, 2013

Battling Bulimia – One Step at a Time

Collegiate Member Mollie Opens up about her Battle with an Eating Disorder


My name is Mollie and I am 21 years old. Since I was 14, I have been battling bulimia. Today, I can proudly say that I have been eating disorder free for six months. It sounds like a short time, but when you’ve been battling this demon as long as I have, six months is an eternity. It took me almost eight years to get to where I am today, but not without the love and support of my parents, friends and Delta Gamma sisters.

ED is the name many people use to call the evil, horrible, manipulative disease that takes over our lives, controlled my body, my thoughts and my health for almost eight years. Yet, no one knew. It was a secret disease that was slowly killing me. Each time I didn't ask for help and continued to suffer alone, my disorder won and got stronger.

It got worse when I left for college in New York. It was then that I knew that I had to ask for help, or I wouldn’t survive this disease. I spoke up and did the hardest thing I’ve ever done; I admitted there was a problem and got help to get better. But the story doesn’t end here.
I left New York and transferred to University of Denver in Colorado. I fell in love with the campus, the city and the people. As an only child, growing up with two busy, hard working parents in Los Angeles, I spent a lot of time alone. I hoped that by joining a sorority I would find more friends, but what I found in Delta Gamma was more than I could have imagined. Delta Gamma was the first time I felt like I had the true meaning of family. But again, I let the bulimia take away the good in my life. I pushed good people away and ultimately had to leave school before the end of my sophomore year.


I felt defeated, but this time it was different. I had more to fight for than just myself. I had a sisterhood that was stronger than an eating disorder. I had always been afraid to tell my story, but if I have learned anything during my battle, it is that the people who care about you will care no matter what battle scars you bare.

I returned to school that January and continue to be active in Delta Gamma. I bring with me a sense of belonging and love that I never knew could be for me. I want to share my story and help other sisters who struggle and are afraid to speak up. My experience in Delta Gamma is so much more than the cliché views of parties and formals.This is a group of women who stood by my side and helped me fight a disease that I thought might one day kill me. My sisters, though in Denver, kept in touch, always asking when I would be back and that they were proud of what I was doing.

Every day I take another step forward in my recovery. I look forward to no longer associating myself as the girl with an eating disorder, but as the girl who is an art history major, loves kittens, wants to move to Paris and is a Delta Gamma.
Mollie Braen is a junior member of Beta Chi-Denver. She is majoring in art history and after graduation hopes to move to Paris and continue to study art. You can reach her at mbraen@gmail.com.

The A.D.A.M Medical Encyclopedia defines bulimia: “Bulimia is an illness in which a person binges on food or has regular episodes of overeating and feels a loss of control. The person then uses different methods - such as vomiting or abusing laxatives - to prevent weight gain.”
If you or someone you know is battling bulimia here are some resources to that could help:
http://www.bulimiahelp.org/book/starting-recovery/10-tips-recovery
http://www.remudaranch.com/