Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Importance of Breaking the Silence

After finishing my junior year in college, I went out to celebrate with my best friend. A night out on the town quickly changed when my friends had to report me missing. After several hours I was found partially naked, assaulted and raped. I then went through a rollercoaster of emotions learning and transforming from a victim to a survivor.

I turned to the internet for information where I learned the alarming statistic of 1 in 5 women will be sexually assaulted during college. Reading the statistic I knew I needed to share my story to bring awareness. 


The first time I publicly told my story was on my campus at Take Back the Night. The room was packed with students. After sharing my story, it was the first time I truly understood the importance of breaking the silence. A young woman came up to me after I had spoke, tears rolling down her face and all she said was “Thank you.” Still to this day I don’t know who she was but I knew in that moment I had to continue to share my story with both men and women across the world.

This was a horrific incident that happened to me but I believe it happened for a reason. This incident gave me a new passion in life. I share my story because I see how it connects people, it lets victims know they are not alone and it’s not their fault and it empowers bystanders to step up to prevent sexual violence.

Almost five years after my sexual assault, on April 1st, 2013 I launched my website telling my story to the world. It was one of the scariest things I have ever done in my life. 

To learn more visit www.SabrinaSadler.com

Sabrina Sadler, Delta Eta -California State, Sacramento, shares her story and hopes to bring awareness, breakdown myths, educate and help each community understand their role in preventing violence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment